At least four people were killed and 10 others injured in a shooting during a family gathering in Stockton, Northern California, Saturday night, authorities said. The suspect remains at large.
Heather Brent, spokesperson for the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, told reporters the shooting occurred around 6 p.m. Pacific Time at a banquet hall on the 1900 block of Lucile Avenue. Victims ranged in age from juveniles to adults.
Stockton Vice Mayor Jason Lee posted on social media that “the mass shooting” happened “at a child’s birthday party,” but Brent could not confirm the details, only describing it as a “family gathering.”
“[A] birthday party should never be a place where families fear for their lives,” Lee added.
No arrests have been made, Brent said. Authorities have not released information about the suspect or a possible motive, though early indications suggest the shooting was targeted. The circumstances leading up to the shooting remain unclear.
“What happened tonight, again, unacceptable,” Mayor Christina Fugazi said. “Families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive.”
The office of California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a social media post that the governor had been briefed on the shooting.
“We are urging anyone with information, video footage, or who may have witnessed any part of this incident to contact the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office immediately,” the sheriff’s office said in a news release.











Leave a Reply